Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Very Slippery Slope

I save nothing. Nothing. Did I wear it last year? If not, give it away. Has it been in the fridge more than 3 days? If yes, then put it down the disposal. Do I know right away where to put it? If not, then donate it. If I am not using it now and foresee no need of it in the near future, I get rid of it. It's the only way to maintain order in my home. I'm not one of those freaks with 100 watt bulbs in all the lights so any speck of dust can be identified and attacked, but I'm certainly not a hoarder or a pack rat either. I never have liked antiques. They're just so ..... old.

I love my mom in law. She's in her mid 80s and she was raised in a world that I never experienced. She lived through the depression. She reuses saran wrap and paper towels. Think I'm joking? I only wish I were. She is worried about her children fighting over her huge home full of stuff when she goes. I told her not to worry, I'd just tell the Salvation Army to come and get it all. I swear I was joking, but I'm pretty sure she's working on a restraining order to go into effect at the moment she passes. (Note to self: Leave off-beat sense of humor at home.)

So, for Christmas one of the things we got was a new toaster oven. It's clean and shiny and new. I like it for a lot of reasons, but mainly because it probably won't shoot sparks and smell like burning wires. The old one was biding it's time waiting to kill us all, but that's another story.

Anyway, back to my point. Tonight I was carrying the old toaster oven out to the trash bin when I thought to myself, "Why am I throwing away the baking sheet? We can use that as a back up for the new toaster oven. And the wire rack. We need that. I can use it for all kinds of things. Oh, and the knobs. Let me pull off these knobs. They're in great shape and you never know when you might need a knob." Just so you know, I did stop myself from cutting off the electrical cord to use on some future device in need of a cord. But just barely.

I feel my feet slipping out from under me on a very slippery slope. Check back in one year. I'll be on a reality show with people hauling off all my stuff so the piles don't collapse on top of me.

No comments: