Friday, June 12, 2009

99 Bottles of Milk on the Wall

Notice the baby application to your left? As of this writing, we are down to 99 days. We are under 100. Isn't that exciting? I promise I won't be annoying and do a daily count. You can just keep your eye on the countdown application.

On another topic, here's a tip for you. When you are cleaning out your closets and sheds and garages and you end up with a pile of stuff that is too good to throw away, don't. I hate to hold garage sales because they are a lot of work and very little payoff, plus I have to do something with the things that don't sell. Instead, I bring everything to Savvy Seconds. It's a resale store that is run by our local sheltered workshop. It's a win/win/win situation.

WIN- I get rid of my stuff knowing it will go to someone who needs it PLUS I get a tax receipt for it. (I itemize.)

WIN- People in the community can come in and by good quality clothes, furniture and household items at bargain prices. The store is very upscale and not at all what you picture in your head when you think 'thrift store.'

WIN- People who have disabilities have good paying jobs sorting, pricing, hanging, organizing, etc... all the donations.

But here's the great part. If you don't live in my town, you probably have a very similar set up close to you. The Salvation Army thrift stores typically employ people with disabilities. Sometimes other communities have workshop resale stores. It's a great thing to do with your stuff.

No comments: