Thursday, February 26, 2009

He's 9. How did this happen?

In a few short hours The Boy will be 9 years old. I'll post a bunch of pics of his life tomorrow. Right now I'm lost in a memories of where I was 9 years ago tonight.

The scene wavers and then reclarifies in a backflash:
I already had two children. Childbirth was not a mystery. But Mister was a novice. This was his first - and as it turns out, his ONLY - baby. He was such a great student. He attended the baby classes and watched the films with me. He was not going to be one of those sit com dads that panics and gets half way to the hospital before he figures out that he left his wife at home. So I told him it's time to go and he stayed so calm. He knew that I would be in labor for days. So he said to me, "We have time to make a pot of coffee." (I love this man so much. I torment him horribly with this story. If he thinks it's mean, I will delete this.) Anyway, I'm thinking, COFFEE? I'm in labor here, and it kind of HURTS. But being the devoted wife I am who also knows her own penchant for over dramatization, I think to myself, "He's right. I'm overreacting. I can't go through this if he isn't hopped up on caffeine." So I agreed, and he made a pot of coffee. Meanwhile, I'm practicing my breathing and calmly calling the folks to let them know. My mom-in-law, who is the most spectacular mom-in-law ever, agrees to drive two hours to our house and stay with my older kids. They are 13 and 15 y/o at the time, so it's ok if I go ahead and leave for the hospital now. I mean, as soon as the coffee is ready.

Guess what? When I got to the hospital, I was dilated to an 8 and it was too late for an epidural. But Mister is wide awake, so it's all good. We got to the hospital at 11:15 pm and The Boy was born at 2:12 am. That's what I call close.

That's where I was 9 years ago tonight. Was your evening that memorable? I bet not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the fog of childbirth the first half of this story has been lost. The part about going to the hospital earlier that night sure that "this is it." Then the nurse telling us that it's going to be quit a long while before you're dilated enough and too go home and try to relax.

So, being home for less than an hour I thought we'd have plenty of time to make some coffee before going back. Not my fault. I blame our health care system.