Friday, February 20, 2009

Build Your Own Pizza

We never eat out. We're just not that kind of people. First of all, we don't really like other people all that much, so why would we choose to surround ourselves with them after a long day? We also never order in. I can make fried rice much cheaper and tastier than the delivery place! So imagine my surprise when Mister wanted to go out to eat on Valentine's Day. It's all the more special to go out with your soul mate when you don't take it for granted.

So that means we're on a roll and I decided to throw caution to the winds. We decided to order pizza tonight. (I know. The extravagance is shameful.) I can't remember the last time we ordered pizza. I think it might have been in 2006. Maybe.

Now, since we don't order very often, this is a process of unfamiliar steps that we have to learn as we go. First, we have to decide which franchise is going to get our money. Since I didn't have time to look up their policies and practices to choose the least environmentally offensive option, we decided to choose based on coupons. This necessitated an excavation of the paper recycling bin. It never occurs to me to save pizza coupons. (See paragraph 1.)

Domino's it is. I found some almost expired coupons with a note that we can order on line and TRACK our order. Cool. This is almost as much fun as tracking my Christmas packages on Fed Ex and UPS. I'm all over that.

When we got to the Domino's site, another surprise awaited us. You can build your own pizza online. You choose the size and the crust and then check options. The pizza avatar changes as you check and uncheck boxes. (Really, this is amazing. Who thinks up this stuff?) So then, I get elbowed out of the way. The Boy wants to build the pizza. Oh what an amazing pizza he built. You can add ingredients to half the pizza, the other half of the pizza, or the whole pizza. He clicked. And he clicked. And he clicked. Eventually, I made him stop. So then he unclicked. And he unclicked. And he unclicked. We ended up with a pizza that is Italian sausage/black olive on one side and pepperoni/pineapple on the other. I couldn't talk him out of the pineapple.

Then, we got to track our pizza. We watched a flashing status bar with text below it. Byron prepped our pizza, then it was cooked and boxed. Ashley left the store to bring it to us at 6:20. At 6:28, The Boy ran to the window to see if she was there yet just as she pulled up. We yelled 'woo hoo' and ran for the door.

Oh Good Grief! We are so easily entertained here. Poor Ashley had to walk backward all the way to her car because she was afraid to turn her back on us.

No comments: